V & R Mapping

My V&R Map looks like the following. I use a lot of social media for personal use as it’s the most efficient way for me to connect with my friends, classmates, family, as well as everyone else. I use a lot of LinkedIn, Slack, JIRA, Email for my work things and it makes a huge part of my work life. I was confused whether adding Netflix to a visitor choice is a valid point or not because I leave a huge ‘digital’ trace behind with my watch activity and trends but it’s not a Social Media to track my thoughts, photos, or connect with friends.

What digital platfroms are students currently using to develop their professional network?

There has been a huge development of technology in the past two decades and it’s obvious that everyone is adapting to technology and various digital platforms which help them connect with others they care about. Students not only use digital platforms for personal use but also for professional connections. The majority of students I have met use LinkedIn, Twitter, and Reddit as well for professional networks. LinkedIn, however, is the tool most of the students in the world use to connect with others professionally. There are other digital platforms that are very university-specific or region-specific which are run by either university or a local company to help students in that area connect with professional individuals and help them grow in their careers.

Interestingly, Instagram usage by students has increased to passively grow their professional network. We all knowingly and unknowingly always find ways to move forward in the direction of our interest. This is the case with students as well. A lot of students both knowingly and unknowingly find their passions and interest in social media and try to grow their professional network there (which is the case with Instagram). Instagram is a social networking app, but for businesses, it’s a way to promote themselves and their products. There are also individuals successful in the specific industries trying to promote themselves and help others with Instagram (influencers). Students use this platform to connect with them and hence build a strong network either knowingly or unknowingly.

What could the student consider in expanding their professional network?

Students should definitely try to find their passion and interest to move forward with growing their professional network in that direction. I believe social media is a great tool for lots of students to move forward with certain interests. Students should consider using all of the features social media offers to look up and connect with other people from their industries. When students meet other professionals on these platforms, they form different opinions and ideas which helps with the growth of individuals. Students should also not be afraid to share these thoughts and opinions and always hope for feedback and support. Everyone thinks in a different way, and to expand our professional network, it’s important to build trust and understanding using these platforms.

In your network, how can you create a digital identity/reputation?

Digital identities are actually very easy to create as it comprises of a wide range of our activities online. All the likes, views, comments, posts, thoughts, photos, and videos contribute to our digital footprint and stick there. Yes, even the likes and views we might be doing impulsively comprise of what we like and set a trend for our digital identity. I create my digital identity by posting about myself and my thoughts about what I interact with online. All being said, we always need to be mindful of what we are posting and/or commenting on these platforms and reflect upon those with a different perspective. This will help us to preserve our digital reputation.

Discover what an employer would find based on your V+R map if you applied for a job with them?

An employer in my industry looks for technical (programming) as well as interpersonal skills. My V+R map portrays me as a very social person as seen in the top right corner of the map where I list a lot of social media interaction. They would also consider the tools I have listed on the institutional visitor area of the map. I believe employers look for a strong interpersonal skills-oriented person and social media reflects a strong component of an individual to interact with others.

Attributions

Cover photo by Leon on Unsplash